My meditation practice has grown over the years but in the beginning, I was a total mess. I didn't understand the concept. I thought you would sit and boom I would be enlightened. Clearly that was my perception because It could not be further from the truth.
I was thrown into my meditation by my teacher, she told us to sit and observe our thoughts without judgment. Ok, cool I can totally do this. Two minutes in felt like a lifetime, I was in my head hoping she would ring the bell and get me out of this feeling of uncomfortableness. Nope I was still sitting in my shit and I did not like it. Thoughts swirled my head like, “what should I eat today”, or “how come nothing is coming to me”, also “why don’t I feel anything”, or “oh my butt is killing me”, and “I am thirsty”, lastly “is it over yet”. I am sure you can relate, while most say this is completely normal the thought of coming back and sitting down to meditated frighten me. I wanted to do it right, and I was not feeling like I was doing anything but complaining.
So how do we sit comfortably and mediate? First, we need to ask ourselves:
1. What do you expect to receive from your meditation practice? Be honest with yourself. Of course, individual answers will vary, anywhere from “ I want enlightenment” or “I want my pain (whether depression, anxiety, back pain and so forth) to go away” to “I want to live to be a hundred years old” Or “ I just want a few minutes of peace and quiet a day”.
2. What has led you to develop an interest in meditation?
3. What meditation practice have you already tried?
The first thing to do is let go of your expectations of what meditation is or is not. Just come to your seat and breathe. Once I began to let go of what I thought it should be, everything started opening up. I didn’t label all of my thoughts, I did not expect the outcome to be awesome, I just excepted what was in front of me. One of my go to meditation is the six-phase meditation – If you want to begin your practice this is a great place to start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRhrdm_1afQ
Tips to help you stay on the path:
1. Meditate the same time each day this will help in developing a habit
2. Pick a seat: It is ok if you can’t sit upright, this is your practice. Expect the above meditation to last 20min. Yes 20 min (you can do this). If you prefer to lay down please do so, but make sure you don’t fall asleep.
3. Light a candle and shut off all phones. Dedicate this time for you
You got this,